The Elgin Middlesex Oxford Workforce Planning and Development Board is proud to foster a platform that encourages open dialogue, knowledge sharing, and collaboration.
We are thrilled to announce our new initiative: guest blogs from passionate professionals who are eager to share their insights, experiences, and solutions related to workforce issues specific to their industries. Contact us to learn more about how your organization can become a guest blogger.
Explore the Exciting Career Opportunities in the Self Storage Industry
This article was provided by Storwell Self Storage
The rapid growth of the self-storage industry in the last 50 to 60 years is not completely surprising. Consumer culture has grown tremendously in the last several decades and people inevitably need extra storage space to store all of the items that they buy. When discussing why self-storage units are rented, industry experts often refer to the 4Ds of life (death, divorce, downsizing, and dislocation). During these key moments of transition in a person’s life, self-storage becomes a necessity. The need for additional storage is universal, which makes self-storage one of the most secure industries in the world, often thriving even during times of economic struggle.
Self-storage industry trends
According to the Self Storage Association, there are around 59,500 self-storage facilities worldwide. In the United States alone, there are around 2.3 billion square feet of rentable storage space. Self-storage development continues to build momentum in Canada, with a large number of newly constructed self-storage facilities in Mississauga, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver, and other high-population urban centers.
The self-storage industry in Ontario specifically has experienced significant growth over the past few years. In 2023, the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) found that there were 37.3 million square feet of self-storage in Ontario, which grew by 9% in the last three years with 4.2 million square feet added. Some of the key reasons that contributed to the growth of the self-storage industry in the last several years appear to be people downsizing, clearing space to allow for more work-from-home options, and smaller living spaces in urban centers. As more people move into cities, the demand for storage solutions increases. Additionally, the rise of e-commerce has led to an increase in demand for storage space among businesses.
The different job opportunities in the self-storage industry
With the number of self-storage facilities continuing to grow, there are plenty of job opportunities available for those looking for self-storage jobs. There is a common misconception that the types of career opportunities available in the self-storage industry are limited to general labour jobs- this could not be further from the truth. Self-storage is a multi-faceted industry that features job opportunities from a wide array of different disciplines.
- Leasing Administrator: Leasing administrators are responsible for responding to employee or guest requests and ensuring overall customer satisfaction. One of the most important things that a leasing administrator must do is understands the storage services provided by the company and communicate them effectively to customers. The leasing administrator must also have a thorough knowledge of all storage facility rules and procedures.
- Accounting Specialist: Accounting specialists are responsible for managing the financial aspects of the storage facility, including managing accounts receivable and accounts payable, preparing financial reports, and ensuring compliance with financial regulations. Accounting specialists must have knowledge of accounting principles and be able to work independently.
- Sales Executive: Sales executives are responsible for securing potential clients, developing best practices for sales and customer services, and working closely with management to design a strategy to onboard large accounts. Sales executives must have excellent communication and problem-solving skills and be able to work in a fast-paced environment. It is also very important that sales executives be able to work in a team setting in order to implement sales strategy.
- Maintenance Technician: Maintenance technicians are responsible for maintaining the facility and performing repairs as needed. Maintenance technicians must have knowledge of plumbing, electrical, and HVAC systems, as well as the ability to troubleshoot problems and make repairs. As self-storage facilities incorporate more and more advanced technologies into their designs, the role of maintenance technicians has become incredibly important.
- Marketing Specialist: Marketing specialists are responsible for developing and implementing marketing strategies to promote the storage facility. Marketing specialists must have excellent communication and marketing skills, as well as the ability to work in a team environment.
- Security Officer: Security officers are responsible for ensuring the safety and security of the storage facility and its customers. Security officers must have knowledge of security procedures and protocols, as well as the ability to handle emergency situations.
- IT Specialist: IT specialist jobs in the self-storage industry are crucial for ensuring the smooth operation of technology infrastructure and systems within storage facilities. As technology continues to play an increasingly important role in business operations, IT specialists are responsible for managing and supporting various aspects of information technology within self-storage companies.
These are just a handful of the many positions available in the self-storage industry. The self-storage industry offers numerous career opportunities for individuals with different skill sets and backgrounds. Whether you’re interested in customer service, sales, marketing, or maintenance, the self-storage industry has something for everyone. Many of the positions available in the self-storage industry support remote work options such as IT positions, software developers, and marketing roles. As the industry continues to grow and expand across Canada, there will be more and more job openings in this exciting field.